ati and 2 monitors with 2 different resolutions : is it possible ?

giggz giggzounet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:53:44 PST 2009

Alex Deucher a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:42 PM, giggz <giggzounet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Happy new year!
>>
>> I have a question :
>> on my laptop (debian sid), I have a second monitor on the VGA output.
>>
>> I don't have any problem on the VGA output when the monitor has the same
>> display resolution (1400x1050) as the LVDS monitor.
>> But when my second monitor has a lower resolution (1024x768), I can have
>> a correct "clone" mode : on the second monitor I have a part of the
>> "big" one (a rectangle 1024x768).
>>
>> Is there something to do ?
>
> What exactly are you trying to do?  With clone mode you can have
> either dis-similar modes on each head (1400x1050 on one, 1024x768 on
> the other) or a common mode on both heads (e.g., 1024x768 on both).
>
> Alex

Hi,

I'm trying to have dis-similar modes on each head (1400x1050 on one,
1024x768 on the other) in clone mode...but it doesn't work.

I have my main screen (LVDS) in 1400x1050 and my second (VGA) in
1024x768. But on the VGA one, I don't have my complete desktop, just a
part of it (a rectangle, which its size is 1024x768 of the complete
image (1400x1050)).

Which changes must I do ? changes in xorg.conf ? or just through xrandr ?
Thx,
GiGGz