HDMI Audio on

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 23:30:30 PST 2009

2009/12/7 Marius Gröger <marius.groeger at web.de>:
> Let me ask my original question the other way round: playing video on my
> 3200HD over HDMI - would I actually benefit from using the radeon driver
>  (vs. the radeonhd), provided I somehow get the HDMI audio ported?
> http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon says that this driver has (better) video
> playback, but - without knowing any of the details - the radeonhd driver
> seems to do fine so far.

Both drivers implement Xv, however radeon may be little better that
radeonhd. I think I've experienced that when testing 1080p movie, but
did not really measure that. One I'm sure I didn't notice any
difference between drivers playing movies up to 720p. On the other
hand I know radeonhd has some nice work done by Yang about colors for
Xv (as Xv not only scales but also converts colors). I don't think
there are any other Xv differences. I've never seen any tearing using
radeonhd.

> If you ask: why bother if your system is ok as it is? - well, I like to
> run the "right" thing, so if there is more OSS focus on the radeon
> driver I want to use it. Secondly, I like to optimize things, so if
> there's a better driver I want to use it. I'm sure you know what I mean :-)

Probably the most "right" thing is KMS. But I'd suggest waiting for
2.6.33-rc1 at least unless you like experimenting.

--
Rafał