Xv performance and quality issues at 1920x1080/60 resolution

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Mon Sep 15 10:53:26 PDT 2008

Hi. Fist of all, I want to say that I sure am glad I have finally switched
to the open source ATi driver. Afer days/weeks mf messing with fglrx and
it's problems I finally decided to try the latest open source driver and
have thus far been impressed - I can finally watch TV at 1920x1080 and have
it mostly work!

But of course, there are some small issues :) Hopefully someone will have
some ideas on config tweaks or something I could do to help my problem.

First my stats - I have an AMD 690G chipset with a Radeon X1250 onboard. My
CPU is pretty beefy, an AMD X2 6400+. I am running at 1920x1080/60
resolution. I use Xv scaling to scale video. I am running the latest
git/subversion of all of DRI, MESA, and the Xorg radeon driver, as of last
night.

Issue #1 - When I am playing video full screen, regardless of the source
resolution of the video, there are these diagonal "jaggy lines" that appear
in the video intermittently. It seems to happen most often when there is
high-motion in the video.

Issue #2 - When I am playing video full screen whose native resolution is
1920x1080/60 (1080i content) (as in it is not scaled) the update performance
of the display is not very good. It can not even keep the display up to
speed with the audio. When I look at 'top'  My xorg CPU useage is only at
23%, so that does not seem to be the bottleneck.

I am wondering if there are any configuration tweaks I could do in my
xorg.conf to help my issues. RIght now I am running a pretty much "stock"
configuration.

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is.

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut