Dual link on X1250 xf86-video-ati git head fails (also failed on radeonhd)

Adam J. Richter adam at yggdrasil.com
Thu Mar 20 00:21:22 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:27:14AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Adam J. Richter <adam at yggdrasil.com> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> >         radeonhd-1.1.0 correctly detects my DVI connection but
> >  radeon-6.8.0 always thinks is not connected.  With radeon-6.8.0, I can
> >  get correct DVI output on my 1920x1200 monitor by simultaneously
> >  connecting DVI and VGA cables from the same monitor, but, if I only
> >  connect the DVI cable, the video comes up in a much lower default
> >  resolution, perhaps 640x480.
> >

> This is fixed in ati git master.  6.8.0 is too old.

	You're right.  I have now downloaded the latest xorg-video-ati
git, and it does indeed work with the the DVI cable plugged in.  Sorry
for not checking the git version first.

	By the way, I don't know if dual link is supposed to work in
xorg-video-ati yet, but I thought I should let you know that it did
not work for me with my new lp3065 monitor (neither did radeonhd,
which I think is supposed to work).  xrandr correctly sees the
2560x1600 video mode and thinks that it has selected it, but I only
see moving rectangular pattern that I think is some kind of bad video
signal.  If I use xrandr to reduce the video mode to 1280x800 (which
the monitor also supports), that displays correctly.  Anyhow, I
thought I ought to pass along this information.

	I also have an nvidia card that should drive the monitor OK,
but, since the monitor supports multiple video cables in, I expect to
keep another DVI cable plugged into my ATI X1250 rs690 in case anyone
would like me to try a patch.

Adam Richter