ati driver falling back to software

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Jun 17 09:31:18 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 07:18 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 09:49:33AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 00:14 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm encountinger several situations where things seem to be dropping
> > > back to software mode.
> > >
> > BTW, is the xfwm4 compositor enabled? Is the resizing usable when the
> > virtual screen size is <= 2560x2560?
>
> The xfwm4 compositor is *disabled*.  I have just tried it with only one
> screen attached and the virtual screen size set to 1600x1200.  I no
> longer see the R300CheckComposite errors in my Xorg logfile and XFCE
> Terminal resize is *definitely* better.  xchat resize seems about the
> same though (aka pretty bad), even though I don't see any errors at all
> in the Xorg logfile.

It's probably falling back somewhere else then. You can try rebuilding
xserver with DEBUG_TRACE_FALL defined to 1 in exa/exa_priv.h, though
that may generate a lot of debugging output.

BTW, Option "AccelDFS" may alleviate the migration overhead for
fallbacks somewhat.

> An oprofile run resizing xchat for about 20 seconds still shows a lot
> of calls to memcpy (being called by exaCopyDirty):

Thanks for the data, but I have to admit I can't make sense of oprofile
callgraphs. Can you provide data from sysprof or at least opreport
-gdf / op2calltree?