ati driver falling back to software

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Jun 17 00:49:33 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 00:14 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> I'm encountinger several situations where things seem to be dropping
> back to software mode.
>
>   1. With Composite mode enabled, XFCE Terminals are very slow
>      resizing.  I see the following in my Xorg log:
>
>         R300CheckComposite: Dest w/h too large (3200,1200).
>         R300CheckComposite: Source w/h too large (3200,1200).
>         exaCopyDirty: Pending damage region empty!
>
>      I thought this issue had been fixed quite a while ago:
>
>        http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg-driver-ati@lists.x.org/msg03386.html
>
>      The code from this patch is in my copy of the driver...

That change merely prevented the 3D engine coordinate limits to be
imposed on driver operations using the 2D engine as well.

The question is whether this particular operation really requires the 3D
engine or could be converted to a simpler one using the 2D engine. A
full gdb backtrace from when R300CheckComposite() returns FALSE could
help determine this.

BTW, is the xfwm4 compositor enabled? Is the resizing usable when the
virtual screen size is <= 2560x2560?

>   2. With composite mode still enabled, Firefox resizing gives me the
>      following:
>
>        R300CheckComposite: Component alpha not supported with source alpha and source value blending.

This is probably related to sub-pixel anti-aliased text and should be
harmless, as EXA can still accelerate it in two passes.