ati driver falling back to software

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Tue Jun 17 00:14:17 PDT 2008

I'm using the cc9f510770700228e5d597c872e926a4e99bd950 commit of the
ati driver with Fedora 9's X server.  Here's my xorg.conf:

  http://www.bludgeon.org/~rayvd/xorg/xorg.conf

I'm encountinger several situations where things seem to be dropping
back to software mode.

  1. With Composite mode enabled, XFCE Terminals are very slow
     resizing.  I see the following in my Xorg log:

        R300CheckComposite: Dest w/h too large (3200,1200).
        R300CheckComposite: Source w/h too large (3200,1200).
        exaCopyDirty: Pending damage region empty!

     I thought this issue had been fixed quite a while ago:

       http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg-driver-ati@lists.x.org/msg03386.html

     The code from this patch is in my copy of the driver...

  2. With composite mode still enabled, Firefox resizing gives me the
     following:

       R300CheckComposite: Component alpha not supported with source alpha and source value blending.

  3. Resizing xchat also gives me:

       R300CheckComposite: Dest w/h too large (3200,1200).

Here's my Xorg logfile:

  http://www.bludgeon.org/~rayvd/xorg/Xorg.0.log

I have to run in AGP 1X mode with this video card (Radeon 9800XT) if I
want to use BusType AGP.  It locks up the system if I go any higher
(works OK in Windows at AGP 4X).  This is with an Asus A7V333
motherboard (KT333), so I suppose this is something to do with my AGP
driver and perhaps isn't related to anything above.

Happy to provide oprofile output if necessary..

Thanks,
Ray

--
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>
GPG Fingerprint: 175B D779 4BC9 D5FF 5CC9  CE79 BCB4 0703 B51E 9F1A