hard flickering of laptop panel...

Marek Wojciechowski mwojc at p.lodz.pl
Sat Jun 7 10:00:32 PDT 2008

Dnia sobota 07 czerwiec 2008, napisałeś:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Marek Wojciechowski <mwojc at p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I'm using xf86-video-ati drivers for Radeon 7500 on laptop Compaq Evo
> > n800v and Gentoo Linux system. Recently i upgraded xorg to the version
> > 1.3.0.0 and xf86-video-ati to 6.6.3 (that's what is avilable in Gentoo).
> > Unfortunately after that my LCD started to flicker. This flickering is
> > much harder when opengl application is used. The longer such an
> > application is used the harder is the flickering. And it does not stop
> > when the application is closed. Finally everything ends up with blank
> > panel and need of the reset of the computer (reseting only X server does
> > not help as well).
>
> 6.6.3 is pretty old.  does it work better with 6.8.0?

There's no difference which version i use: 6.6.3, 6.7.197 or 6.8.0. But now i
discovered that 6.6.3 is the version which i use for a long time, and
actually my last updates concerned xorg-server rather and other xorg related
packages (and not the ati drivers themeselves)...

> > I observed that this flickering probably does not depend on any radeon
> > driver options that can be set in xorg.conf (i tried many
> > configurations). Disablig "dri" does not help as well. So i suppose this
> > could be a bug in the radeon driver.
> >
> > I have to mention that vesa driver works OK...
> >
> > I'm writing this because maybe someone have had such a problem and knows
> > the solution. I spend hours looking for something but i found nothing
> > useful.
>
> Does the DisplayPriority option help?  See the radeon man pages for
> more info on this option.

No, unfortunately this option does not help. I tried both BIOS and HIGH
parameters...

Thanks a lot for response,
--
Marek Wojciechowski