radeon + xrandr + laptop/external monitor display problem

kewlemer kewlemer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:45:47 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2008 2:58 AM, kewlemer <kewlemer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Feb 18, 2008 4:56 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > On Feb 18, 2008 7:32 PM, kewlemer <kewlemer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > > On Feb 18, 2008 2:52 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > > > On Feb 18, 2008 3:12 AM, kewlemer <kewlemer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > > > > > > Can anyone please tell me why when the same script is in rc.local,
>  > > > > > > > it's not working properly? i.e.,  I can't get the display on the
>  > > > > > > > monitor unless I open the laptop initially.
>  > > > > > > >
>  > > > > > >
>  > > > > > > If rc.local is executed before X is started it will do nothing.  Also
>  > > > > > > depending on the context that script is executed in you will probably
>  > > > > > > have to specify the DISPLAY for randr to connect to.
>  > > > > > >
>  > > > > > Thank you very much for the note. Your tip of running "xrandr --auto"
>  > > > > > works neatly when I log in and type it. But I still have a problem -
>  > > > > > how do I automate this at boot up? When I boot the laptop with the lid
>  > > > > > closed, keeping it plugged to the monitor, it fails to display
>  > > > > > anything. I then open the laptop lid and it now throws me the laptop
>  > > > > > screen display on the monitor. Then I log in and run "xrandr --auto"
>  > > > > > and the display  resizes to the monitor size. I want to automate this.
>  > > > > > How I can do so ?
>  > > > >
>  > > > > you'll probably want to remove any old gnome randr stuff in:
>  > > > > /desktop/gnome/screen/$hostname/$screennum/
>  > > > >
>  > > > Thanks very much for the reply Alex. Excuse me for asking these basic
>  > > > questions, my knowledge about X is limited, but I'm learning. I looked
>  > > > randr stuff -
>  > > > [root at x1002us ~]# locate "/gnome/screen/"
>  > > > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/%gconf.xml
>  > > > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/x1002us
>  > > > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/x1002us/%gconf.xml
>  > > > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/x1002us/0
>  > > > /home/holler/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/x1002us/0/%gconf.xml
>  > > > [root at x1002us ~]#
>  > > >
>  > > > Here is %gconf.xml -
>  > > > <?xml version="1.0"?>
>  > > > <gconf>
>  > > >         <entry name="rate" mtime="1202371546" type="int" value="60">
>  > > >         </entry>
>  > > >         <entry name="resolution" mtime="1202371546" type="string">
>  > > >                 <stringvalue>1680x1050</stringvalue>
>  > > >         </entry>
>  > > > </gconf>
>  > > >
>  > > > Is it alright?
>  > > >
> [...]
That worked like a charm, thanks a ton Alex!

Since I work from the monitor 99% of the time, I have it defaulting to
the monitor. I'll then configure a function key to toggle between
laptop and monitor. I tried installing
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.8.0-1.fc9.i386.rpm on my Fedora 8, but the
dependencies wouldn't work. I'm not that advanced of a radeon user to
try the git version. I will however get the 6.8.0 version  running
soon and report any bugs I find to the list.

Again many thanks Alex!
KM