radeon + xrandr + laptop/external monitor display problem

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:56:59 PST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 1:44 PM, kewlemer <kewlemer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I also tried -
> > > Section "Monitor"
> > >            Identifier      "LVDSMonitor"
> > >            Option          "Disable"    "TRUE"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > The result was
> > > (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 disabled by config file
> > > (II) RADEON(0): Output LVDS disconnected
> > > (II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected
> > > (EE) RADEON(0): No valid modes.
> > > (II) UnloadModule: "ati"
> > > (II) UnloadModule: "int10"
> > > (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so
> > > (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
> > > (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
> > > (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
> > > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
> > >
> > > Here is the complete Xorg.0.log -
> > > http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddjtzn4_5dq2n9w
> > >
> > > Here is my xorg.conf-
> > > http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddjtzn4_2pns85s
> >
> > you need to associate that monitor section with your lvds output.
> > it's getting associated with VGA-0 now:
> > (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using monitor section LVDSMonitor
> >
> > You'll need to add the following to your device section to associate
> > the monitor section with the output:
> > Option "Monitor-LVDS" "LVDSMonitor"
> Thanks, will try it tonight. BTW I just read this-
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Additional_options_for_the_radeon_driver
>
> "...seems that Xorg incorectly discovers the external displays when
> connected to a docking station/port replicator - the only solution to
> this problem (at least that I know of) is to start the laptop (and
> boot all the way into X) prior to inserting it in the dock...."
>
> I had forgoten to add that I was connecting through a docking station.
> Is there a known bug on such setups like its mentioned here? That's
> the same behaviour my laptop+docking station is showing.

That might have been the case with mergedfb and older version of the
driver, but it works fine with the current driver.  If you still have
problems you may want to try a newer driver version.  I just released
6.8.0 last night.  based on teh version you are using I suspect the
bios is screwing around with the video state.