radeon + xrandr + laptop/external monitor display problem

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:52:42 PST 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 3:12 AM, kewlemer <kewlemer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Can anyone please tell me why when the same script is in rc.local,
> > > it's not working properly? i.e.,  I can't get the display on the
> > > monitor unless I open the laptop initially.
> > >

> > If rc.local is executed before X is started it will do nothing.  Also
> > depending on the context that script is executed in you will probably
> > have to specify the DISPLAY for randr to connect to.
> >
> Thank you very much for the note. Your tip of running "xrandr --auto"
> works neatly when I log in and type it. But I still have a problem -
> how do I automate this at boot up? When I boot the laptop with the lid
> closed, keeping it plugged to the monitor, it fails to display
> anything. I then open the laptop lid and it now throws me the laptop
> screen display on the monitor. Then I log in and run "xrandr --auto"
> and the display  resizes to the monitor size. I want to automate this.
> How I can do so ?

you'll probably want to remove any old gnome randr stuff in:
/desktop/gnome/screen/$hostname/$screennum/

> I could bind "xrandr --auto" to a function key, but it will still
> throw me the laptop size screen on the monitor display.

you can assign different keys to do different things or have a script
that saves state somewhere and everytime you execute it it does a
different thing based on the saved state.   Either way, have 3
variants:
xrandr --auto #whatever is connected
xrandr --output VGA-0 --auto --output LVDS --off #VGA only
xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA-0 --off #LVDS only