radeon + xrandr + laptop/external monitor display problem

kewlemer kewlemer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 00:12:12 PST 2008

> > Can anyone please tell me why when the same script is in rc.local,
> > it's not working properly? i.e.,  I can't get the display on the
> > monitor unless I open the laptop initially.
> >

> If rc.local is executed before X is started it will do nothing.  Also
> depending on the context that script is executed in you will probably
> have to specify the DISPLAY for randr to connect to.

Thank you very much for the note. Your tip of running "xrandr --auto"
works neatly when I log in and type it. But I still have a problem -
how do I automate this at boot up? When I boot the laptop with the lid
closed, keeping it plugged to the monitor, it fails to display
anything. I then open the laptop lid and it now throws me the laptop
screen display on the monitor. Then I log in and run "xrandr --auto"
and the display  resizes to the monitor size. I want to automate this.
How I can do so ?

I could bind "xrandr --auto" to a function key, but it will still
throw me the laptop size screen on the monitor display.

Regards,
KM