Interlaced VGA capability possibly lost between v4.2.0 and v4.3.0

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Dec 22 03:37:24 PST 2008

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> I've confirmed that 6.9.0 works just as well as 6.6.3 with my current
>>> configuration. Thought I should let you know after questioning it
>>> before.
>>>
>>> I'm still not able to get smooth playback, as I did once before, but it
>>> must be something I've changed - perhaps I'm using a slightly different
>>> mode line.
>> I now also have smooth playback with 6.9.0. I confirm everything
>> is fine with 6.9.0 and Radeon 9000.
>>
>> So the ati driver does exactly what I want, the problem now
>> is that I don't really want to use the Radeon 9000. Does the ati
>> driver support any integrated chips that are still used in
>> currently sold motherboards? And are any likely to permit
>> PAL timings from VGA?
>
> It currently supports all radeons r1xx-r7xx.  Integrated chips like
> the rs690 and rs740 work quite well.  PAL timings over VGA should
> work, but I don't know how well it's been tested.

Wow, I had no idea that the ati driver supported those chips. My SuSE
distro automatically chose radeonhd, so I assumed that was the best
choice.

On my system with the integrated X1250, I get much better results with
driver=radeon, rather than radeonhd. Seems perfect in normal VGA modes.

The PAL interlaced mode doesn't work though. My TV locks up to it ok,
so it must be close, but I see only the top left quarter of the screen,
stretched in the vertical more than the horizontal. That's with the
KDE desktop, with MythTV menus and MythTV playback. Shame, because
that would have been an ideal solution for MythTV into stardard TV.

Cheers,
	Paul.