Need Help with ATI Graphic Card bring up

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 10:33:48 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Bizhan Gholikhamseh (bgholikh)
<bgholikh at cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have an embedded custom board PowerPC board (Freescale).
> I have booted Debian 4.0 (etch) on the system running on Linux
> kernel 2.6.25.
> I have an ATI graphic card Radeon 9250 PCI card. USB mouse and Keyboard.
> I have console access to the system (serial connection).
> I would like to get the graphic card to function in my environment.
> However,  I get
> lot us of error when I ran "startx" command.
> I am using generic Linux image compiled for PowerPC, I am not sure where the
> problem is.
> I have attached the log files for
> xorg.conf and xorg.0.log. Please help me, I am stuck on this for last 2
> weeks.

You need to post the card for it to be usable.  The video bios
normally does this at boot to initialize the video card.  On non-x86
platforms you'll need either support for posting x86 video roms in
your boot loader or you'll have to make sure the x86 emulator in the
xserver is working on your platform and use it to post the card.  On
ati cards, you can also use tables in the bios to manually initialize
the cards.  There is code to do this for your card in more recent
versions of the radeon driver, but it's not well tested and is
disabled by default.