Dual-screen setup on a Mobility FireGL 7000M7

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 06:48:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Ludwig Meyerhoff <ludwig at antar.de> wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> I am trying to (re-) setup Zaphod-mode one more time.
> After I found the device-sctions had the same identifier, I am back to
> the original problem: LVDS is off, image only on the 2nd head.
>
> There is a panel connected at the LVDS port, and there is one at the
> VGA-0 port. The notebook only has one more S-Video connector.
>
> The setup is as follows:
> (==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
> (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
> (**) |   |-->Monitor "Generic Monitor 0"
> (**) |   |-->Device "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV200 LX [Mobility FireGL
> 7800 M7] 0"
> (**) |-->Screen "External Screen" (1)
> (**) |   |-->Monitor "Generic Monitor 1"
> (**) |   |-->Device "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV200 LX [Mobility FireGL
> 7800 M7] 1"

<snip>

> (II) RADEON(0): Port0:
>  Monitor   -- AUTO
>  Connector -- DVI-D
>  DAC Type  -- None
>  TMDS Type -- Internal
>  DDC Type  -- 0x64

this instance of the driver is getting the DVI port.

> (II) RADEON(1): Port0:
>  Monitor   -- AUTO
>  Connector -- VGA
>  DAC Type  -- Primary
>  TMDS Type -- None
>  DDC Type  -- 0x60

and this instance is getting VGA.

> And I do not get a second screen:
> ludwig at client16:~$ DISPLAY=":0.1" icewm-gnome
> IceWM: using /home/ludwig/.icewm for private configuration files
> IceWM: Can't open display: :0.1. X must be running and $DISPLAY set.
> ludwig at client16:~$
>

> The module I run has the following version:
> (II) LoadModule: "ati"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
> (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>        compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 6.9.0
>        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
> (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so
> (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>        compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 4.3.0
>        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
>

> There is no difference if I set up "ati" or "readeon" driver directly in the
> xorg.conf.

ati is just a wrapper.  it loads radeon or r128 or mach64 depending on
what chip you have, so it doesn't matter which one you have.

> Any hint, what to do?

In your case, since you system has LVDS, DVI, and VGA, it's ending up
with DVI and VGA for each zaphod head.  You'll have to force the
connector table to get this to work.  If you want to use LVDS and VGA,
add this option to each device section:

Option "ConnectorTable" "0,0,0,7,96,1,0,1"