Samsung 460 DXn screen

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 08:41:53 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Rob Kramer <robk at starhub.net.sg> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to get a Samsung 460 DXn screen up and running with the radeon
> driver (and the radeonhd driver, but that's a different list I guess). The
> screen has an embedded PC with a X1200 chipset. The screen is black when I
> start X with either driver. I found an IRC log [1] where someone has the same
> screen, and a developer provides a patch to get things to work. <agd5f,
> 08:00>
>
> Patched similarly [2], I do get an image, but it is shifted left. Normally a
> modeline would fix this, but whatever I specify seems to be completely
> ignored.
>
> The Xorg log has a line that reads "Mode 1360x768 - 1520 790 9", which might
> indicate that it picked a mode with horizontal and vertical totals that don't
> match anything I supplied.
>
> My questions:
> - Can I use some xorg.conf setting instead of the patch?

IIRC, the patch didn't end up being necessary, except that since the
tv provides no edid, there's no way to know if there is a monitor
attached.  We need to add a quirk for this system to automatically
detect it as connected and to remove the VGA port which is not
applicable.  We need to find the proper modeline first of course.  If
you can sort out the modeline, I'll add the quirk to the driver.

> - How can I tweak the mode?

you can play with modelines on the fly with xrandr, e.g.:
xrandr --newmode "1360x768_60.00"   84.75  1360 1432 1568 1776  768
771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode DVI-0 "1360x768_60.00"
xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode "1360x768_60.00"

Alex