DVI output not visible on LCD with DVI, VGA output works -- (MergedFB on Ubuntu Edgy, Powerbook G4 ATI radeon 9600 M10)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 22:51:46 PST 2007

On 1/6/07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll try and take a look this weekend.  I haven't updated my git tree
> since before the holidays.  Can anyone else reproduce this?  Any
> chance you could git bisect to find the change that causes the crash?

Bisecting now. Hmmmm. Lead me to 452f0 , David Airlie's "radeon: bring
over final set of changes...". Trying to revert it on top of master
leads to several conflicts that I am not sure how to resolve, so I
leave things there. This _may_ be due that this machine has no BIOS as
such.

Now, what brought me here is that I can't get one of my monitors to
read DVI signal from this machine. And I've been figuring out a few
more things in that aspect. (but still having trouble with it)

All these tests are with 6.2 (and tested occasionally with 6.3 but it
does exactly the same as 6.2 AFAICT). With master, the whole thing
crashes, so no chance to test.

With MonitorLayout set to "LVDS, TMDS" and some radeontool poking at
FP_GEN_CNTL:

- my work LCD likes the DVI signal (@1280x1024) and the VGA signal
(over DVI->VGA)

- my home LCD doesn't like the DVI signal(@1440x900), likes VGA (over DVI->VGA)

The funny thing is, the log reports in BOTH cases the external monitor
detected as Connector: VGA. DDC Type: VGA_DDC. So it must be sending
out VGA+DVI signal, and for some reason my home monitor isn't liking
the DVI signal.

Any suggestions? I will surely try master as soon as I can run it
;-)... and I have tried a bit with reduced blanking (I'll probably
retry that now too).

thanks!

martin