X11 Specification process

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Aug 23 17:07:36 UTC 2024

On 8/23/24 03:40, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> hi folks,
>

> I'm curious how the protocol specification process practically works
> these days.
>
> Demi proposed some interesting things (*1), which IMHO should be
> formally specificed.
>
> How's the decision exact process for such proposals ?

I don't think we have a formal process these days.

> Where are the spec documents located, how are they maintained ?

In https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/xorgproto/ - some in plain *.txt
files in the top-level directory, some in docbook & other formats under specs/.

So for the example you gave of Demi's MR against the MIT-SHM extension, it
should also be updating specs/xextproto/shm.xml - though as that document
seems to be missing the updates for version 1.1 & 1.2 already, I can't blame
her for not doing that in this case.

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris