Does anyone still feel strongly about -Wdeclaration-after-statement ?

Matthieu Herrb matthieu at herrb.eu
Thu Aug 15 08:15:54 UTC 2024

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 01:56:14PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 08.08.24 13:37, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
>
> > But also try to avoid gratuitous churn. I'm opposed to commit to just
> > move variable declaration around "because we can".
>
> You're referring to me, right ?

Not only, I have your current activity in mind, but there have
been others in the past.

Again I'm not opposed to your work if it makes the protocol decoders
more robust and easier to read (which is a relative notion, new code
also needs effort to grok if you're used to the old one).
There have been enough security issues in the past in this area (and I
sure there are still a lot waiting to be "discovered", because there
is no currently active effort beside yours to and the work by ZDI to
audit and fix issues actively.

But I'm lacking time to be helpful and I hate when a change breaks on
the system for which I'm maintaining the X.Org stack (OpenBSD) and
this costs me even more time...

--
Matthieu Herrb