[Xcb] pthread stubs in libX11 vs. libxcb

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Sep 29 17:26:59 UTC 2022

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:

> I'm not familiar with the runtime linkers on all platforms, but I know at least
> on Solaris, lazy loading won't load the library until the first reference to it
> is made (or a search needs to be made for a reference that doesn't have direct
> binding information to record what library to load for it).

Ah. That makes sense. I have the feeling that lots of us are planning
for or actually using non-lazy loading as that lets the relocation
tables be marked read-only after startup (-z relro -z now in the gnu
linker).

> I also don't know if the ordering between library loading and init section
> execution is well defined.

That's a good point -- with lazy loading, if the other libraries aren't
even loaded until first used, then it seems unlikely that their init
sections are invoked before then.

--
-keith