xserver and splitting ultra-wide monitors

Michael Wyraz michael at wyraz.de
Thu Sep 29 10:54:37 UTC 2022

Hello Xorg developers,

about a year ago I investigated in how to split ultra-wide monitors on
linux into multiple virtual monitors. While this is basically possible
with xserver and xrandr, a combination of different issues stops from
using this feature on most desktops. Unfortunately, the issues still
exist. I'd like to start another attempt to get this finally work.

The first step would be xserver and xrandr.

It is easily possible to split a monitor with xrandr into two:

   xrandr --setmonitor VIRTUAL-LEFT 2560/0x1440/1+0+0 DP-4
   xrandr --setmonitor VIRTUAL-RIGHT 2560/1x1440/1+2560+0 none

For the second monitor, the output must be set to "none" which is
obviously wrong since it is connected to a device. The reason why it is
set to "none" is some code in xserver that removes an monitor if another
one is added to the same output:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mwyraz/xserver/-/merge_requests/1/diffs

I believe, this code should be removed entirely for two reasons. The
first is, that two virtual monitors on one output is perfectly valid.
The other is, that the function is about adding monitor. It should not
be silently delete another monitor.

If there is a reason to delete one monitor if another is added, such
functionality should be part of the tooling (like in xrandr) - this
would also allow to implement different behaviours (e.g. a warning or an
option to enforce to have multiple monitors on one output).

What do you think about this? Could you help to get this solved?

If so and this could be fixed, my next step would be to address the
related issue in gtk (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/2013)
so that gtk based desktops would properly work on a splitted ultra-wide
screen.

Kind regards,

Michael.