xorgproto header installation conflicts

Thomas Klausner wiz at NetBSD.org
Tue Nov 19 16:13:07 UTC 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 02:59:40PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-11-15 at 11:08 +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've updated pkgsrc to use xorgproto 2019.2, still installing the
> > legacy headers with --enable-legacy, and we had to fix a couple
> > conflicts:
> >
> > * XKBgeom.h is provided by libX11 1.6.9
> > * vlcXvMC.h is provided by libXvMC 1.0.12
> >
> > I guess as long as they are installed by the other libraries, they
> > should not be installed by xorgproto. Or should they be removed from
> > the other libraries?
>
> If you're building xorgproto with  --enable-legacy it's up to you to
> handle the packaging conflict, presumably remove them manually in
> either xorgproto xor in the libraries. If you wanted to a patch for the
> libraries to detect which kind of xorgproto you had and handle it
> gracefully there instead, point me at the merge request. ;)

Let's try this from the other side:
I only enabled the legacy modules because I still need them.

One particular example: libXxf86misc is still used by 8 packages in
pkgsrc, but the necessary xf86miscproto headers are not installed by
xorgproto except with --enable-legacy.

But when legacy is enabled, I also get headers that are moved to a
different package and thus the conflicts.

Why is xf86miscproto in the legacy set?
 Thomas