xorgproto header installation conflicts

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Dec 10 21:49:15 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-11-24 at 23:04 +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Thanks for the hint!
>
> Is anything else from this list effectively dead?

Yes:

> libXevie

Not implemented in xserver since 1.6 (late 2008), rarely used by any
clients.

> libXxf86misc

Likewise. This is the client-side part of xf86miscproto. However there
were many clients that linked against it (because it was rather useful
in xfree86 days), so you may want to keep it around for ABI reasons. In
Fedora we've just copied the headers into the source package so we can
keep building the library without needing --enable-legacy in xorgproto.
Refer to the magic tricks invoked here:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/libXxf86misc/blob/master/f/libXxf86misc.spec#_35

But as you noted above you already removed it, which, good.

> libxkbui

Long ago some xkb utilities would use this to draw images of keyboard
layouts, which, enh, marginal value I guess. It looks like Fedora
didn't even bother to package this post-modularization (2006ish). I
have vague memories that some version of gnome's control panel would
try to use this, but apparently it's been a very long time since that
was true.

- ajax