xf86-video-dummy: resize to exact resolution

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Jun 23 20:49:25 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 23:09 +0000, Erik Jensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 6:58 AM Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2016-06-17 at 18:14 +0000, Erik Jensen wrote:
> >
> > > Chrome Remote Desktop is currently exploring support for using Xorg
> > > with the dummy driver instead of Xvfb,
> >
> > Why?
>
> It is our understanding that Xvfb is more-or-less in maintenance
> mode, with the majority of new development (naturally) occurring on
> the main Xorg server. Furthermore, I believe there has been
> discussion of deprecating or replacing Xvfb, Xnest, et cetera with
> Xorg using the appropriate driver (dummy/nested). Is this not
> correct?

The idea has been discussed, but I don't know of anyone actually making
any effort in that direction. And honestly I'd prefer if they didn't.
Xorg so deeply assumes that you're talking to physical hardware that
making it _not_ do so requires intrusive changes. Xwayland began life
as an Xorg driver, and that ended up being kind of a bad plan. I don't
see why dummy/nested would be preferable to Xvfb or Xnest.

Xvfb is as maintained as any other server we build, certainly I test
against it infinitely more often than against dummy.

- ajax