xf86-video-dummy: resize to exact resolution

Erik Jensen rkjnsn at google.com
Wed Jun 22 23:09:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 6:58 AM Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-06-17 at 18:14 +0000, Erik Jensen wrote:
>
> > Chrome Remote Desktop is currently exploring support for using Xorg
> > with the dummy driver instead of Xvfb,
>
> Why?
>
> - ajax

It is our understanding that Xvfb is more-or-less in maintenance mode, with
the majority of new development (naturally) occurring on the main Xorg
server. Furthermore, I believe there has been discussion of deprecating or
replacing Xvfb, Xnest, et cetera with Xorg using the appropriate driver
(dummy/nested). Is this not correct?

Finally, some of our users have been reporting issues when using Xvfb,
which upon initial investigation seem to be solved by using Xorg+dummy,
instead. (We haven't spent a lot of time investigating the root cause,
here, due to our belief that Xvfb was on the way out.)

Thanks,
Erik