Cleaning up Xorg patchwork a bit

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Jun 20 17:47:52 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-06-17 at 16:45 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So as the 2 pull-reqs I send out earlier today show, we unfortunately
> have patches falling through the cracks every now and then.
>
> On one hand this is unavoidable and it is up to the submitter to ping
> us if this happens, OTOH we could / should do better IMHO.
>
> I believe that having an actual up2date patchwork is the best way
> to do better.

I have, in fact, been trying to keep it up to date. Back in mid-
September we had ~6500 patches in New, it's a mere 1150ish now, and
only 150ish against xserver. Admittedly that's ignoring patches in the
archive, which we should probably go ahead and mark Deferred or
something.

> So I believe we should cleanup our patchwork, so that it only contains
> really pending patches, I'm afraid that going through all patches
> still in there reflects an insurmountable amount of work, but still
> I would like to take a shot and at least clean out some low hanging
> fruit.

I believe we should clean it up too, I just don't think we're as doomed
as you're making out.

> The plan is as follows:
> 1) If the patch is superseeded, otherwise obsolete, or nacked but
>   never marked as such in patchwork mark it as such
> 2) If the patch is still relevant review it
> 2a) If I'm not familiar enough with the code in question (and the patch is not trivial enough)
>      resend it to the list marked [resend]
> 2b) If I'm confident the patch is ok, then:
> 2b1) For non server patches, push it
> 2b2) For server patches put in my tree, send out a pull-req with a
>   bunch of these every now and then
>
> Would that be ok ? And how do I get the necessary patchwork rights
> to do this ?

Sounds fine. I've done what I think will give you write permissions to
patchwork for the Xorg project, let me know if the client or web ui
don't work for you.

- ajax