Packaging xlib for Habitat

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jul 18 00:46:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:57:58AM +0100, Steven Danna wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My employer recently released a new product (Habitat) that includes a
> from-source packaging system [0]. Because I am interested in packaging
> software that requires xlib, I was going to start packaging xlib and
> its dependencies.
>
> I have created an "xorg" namespace (origin)[1] in their package
> repository and was planning to upload packages to it as I completed
> them.
>
> I'd like to use the xorg namespace so that the packages are grouped
> nicely together. But, if you'd prefer I not use the xorg name or if
> someone from the xorg project would like to package the software, I
> can give control of the xorg namespace to a more appropriate person.

there is plenty of precedence for using xorg to namespace packages.
Fedora/RHEL/CentOS use xorg-x11-drv-synaptics for example, Debian uses
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. Using the xorg name in a package name is fine
as long as you refrain from suggesting that X.Org endorses your product.

Cheers,
   Peter