Packaging xlib for Habitat

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Jul 18 00:42:45 UTC 2016

On 07/17/16 04:57 PM, Steven Danna wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My employer recently released a new product (Habitat) that includes a
> from-source packaging system [0]. Because I am interested in packaging
> software that requires xlib, I was going to start packaging xlib and
> its dependencies.
>
> I have created an "xorg" namespace (origin)[1] in their package
> repository and was planning to upload packages to it as I completed
> them.
>
> I'd like to use the xorg namespace so that the packages are grouped
> nicely together. But, if you'd prefer I not use the xorg name or if
> someone from the xorg project would like to package the software, I
> can give control of the xorg namespace to a more appropriate person.

I am not aware of any packaging system or distro in which X.Org itself
controls any xorg namespace or packages - we only manage the upstream
source releases, and leave dealing with a million packaging systems to
the people who actually use those systems.  I can't seen any reason we'd
want to treat packaging system number one million and one any differently.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com