Migrating away from using cpp for startx and xinitrc in xinit

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Feb 10 00:48:20 PST 2015

Hi,

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <
jeremyhu at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> It seems that using cpp for startx and xinitrc in the xinit port is coming
> back to bite us now as different C preprocessors don't exactly process
> non-C files in ways that we might want.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46811#comment:4
>
> Does anyone have any strong opinions about this state of affairs and how
> we should address it?  If not, I'll mull it over for a while and try to
> figure something out.

Nothing new under the sun ...

 https://bugs.debian.org/339683
<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=339683>

The general conclusion seemed to be 'yeah, don't do that'. Actual users
relied on the cpp parsing so we couldn't change that, sadly. So just keep
using a normal preprocessor.

Cheers,
Daniel