Writing a new driver for nested Xorg servers based on Xephyr code

Laércio de Sousa laerciosousa at sme-mogidascruzes.sp.gov.br
Fri Sep 26 07:52:04 PDT 2014

Hi there!

Some time ago, I've asked you about current situation of video drivers for
nested Xorg servers as an alternative to Xephyr. This is mentioned in
http://www.x.org/wiki/Releases/7.8/

Currently there's a project named xf86-video-nested, which is written
somehow independently from Xephyr, but seems no longer maintained.

Now I've started playing with xf86-video-nested and Xephyr code, trying to
merge as much code as possible. It's still in an embrionary stage, so I
want to ask you some questions:

* Is there an official position from X.Org development team about
deprecating Xephyr in favour of a driver based approach for nesting Xorg
server? Or at least let both approaches coexist (maybe moving common code
to a shared library, as I've asked you previously)?

* In case I decide to proceed with Xephyr code merging into a video driver,
should I do it in current project xf86-video-nested, or fork a new one
(e.g. xf86-video-ephyr)?

* I'm currently working on mapping Kdrive/Xephyr command line options to
xorg.conf options for the driver. Which Kdrive/Xephyr options are really
suitable for this mapping, and which ones are just reimplementations of
command line options already present in Xorg itself?

I'm pushing my progress to https://github.com/oiteam/xf86-video-ephyr, if
you want to take a look. My main motivation with this project is providing
a suitable way for single-card multiseat configuration on systemd-logind
based systems, so I'm not so focused on implementing a "nested input
driver" at the moment.

Thanks for your attention!
--
*Laércio de Sousa*