How do we want to deal with 4k tiled displays?

Pierre-Loup A. Griffais pgriffais at valvesoftware.com
Mon Jan 27 19:06:18 PST 2014

I see lots of discussion has happened on that front already; sorry for
being late to the party.

I'm currently wrestling against a Dell UP3214Q, which seems to exhibit
all of the problems you refer to. There are many existing binary games
out there that most likely will never get touched again that are RandR
clients and try to either maximize themselves to one of the displays or
ask the window manager to do it for them, after discovering the monitor
topology. Some of these games ship their own libXRandR, some of them
statically link against it, some of them inline the protocol code to
take bug fixes that weren't widespread in distros at the time they were
packaged. It's pretty bad. Given that the only viable solution seems to
lie completely on the X server side of things.

It seems the X server should be responsible for both making sure the two
halves are laid out properly (right now they're in reverse order) and
hidden from clients. This database of quirks would ideally live in the
server itself where it can be easily leveraged by everyone shipping DDXen.

Thanks,
  - Pierre-Loup