How do we want to deal with 4k tiled displays?

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 12:09:09 PST 2014

On 23 January 2014 05:24, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2014/1/23 Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com>:
>> Andy Ritger <aritger at nvidia.com> writes:
>>

>>> * How should hotplug of the monitor's second tile be handled by the
>>>   server if it is hiding the two tiles?  Should such a hotplug generate
>>>   a connected event to RandR clients?  Maybe a hotplug on either tile
>>>   gets reported as a connect event on the one API-facing output.
>>
>> Presumably you'd only want to report 'connected' if both wires were
>> hooked up? Otherwise, the monitor isn't really useful.
>
> In the pathological sitiation when only one wire is hooked up, I guess
> that the monitor is still usable at its original size and aspect
> ratio, just not at full resolution. Someone has to verify this. If
> this is so, then "unplug one 1920x1080 monitors, plug two mirrored 4K
> monitors" sounds more appropriate. Or, if the fact that the other half
> exists is detectable from EDID, we can indeed not support single-wire
> operation.

Why is this pathological?

Does the screen fail when only one input is connected or the two
inputs are connected to different machines?

I don't have a tiled monitor but any monitor with more than one input
I ever had I ended up using with more than one computer at some time
because I tend to have more computers than monitors around.

Thanks

Michal