[RFC] Automatic modifier update of slave devices

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Feb 24 14:44:56 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 02:28:55PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> writes:
>
> > the less-intrusive alternative would be to force only the indicator state
> > down to the slaves. won't change keyboard behaviour as seen by the client
> > and still has the effect that most people expect from their keyboards.
> > comments?
>
> That seems even weirder to me -- you've got a NumLock light on, and yet
> your keyboard doesn't have NumLock pressed when seen as a slave?

the recommendation for XI2 was always to not handle slaves separately when
they're attached to a master device, because any event will feed into the
master. it's a fine line between doing what the user expects and not
breaking what we did for the last couple of years. there is no good solution
here, it's just a question which foot we prefer shooting at.

Cheers,
   Peter