glamor regressions with radeonsi (Re: xserver: Branch 'master' - 15 commits)

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Apr 7 23:47:32 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-04-07 at 23:39 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:
>
> > I've come to realize it's coincidence that the text appears at step 2:
> > The problem is that a lot of time is spent in glamor_font_get() ->
> > glTexSubImage2D(). It would probably be more efficient to pack all the
> > glyphs in malloc()ed memory and pass that to glTexImage2D() instead.
>
> That's only done once per font; I didn't think it would matter all that
> much for real applications (which don't open fonts all that often). I
> can't imagine it takes *that* long to load 256 tiny images though?

Current xserver master takes on the order of ten seconds to start up
xterm on my Kaveri box. I'm sure you agree that's not acceptable. :)

There's probably a lot of potential for optimizing this in the GL stack,
but I think it's better not to depend on that.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer