Remove declaration-after-statement C warning

Arnaud Fontaine arnau at debian.org
Thu Sep 12 01:35:00 PDT 2013

Bart Massey <bart at cs.pdx.edu> writes:

> You're right, of course. There is a small cost associated with
> learning to read code written in a new style. Usually when I'm reading
> code, I find that I'm as interested in knowing what value a variable
> might hold as I am in its type, and I'm happy if I don't have to
> scroll back too far for the local context that tells me these things.
> Placing the declaration at the definition and near the first use helps
> me to meet these goals.
>
> At any rate, I would hardly presume to set style for X---what do I
> know? I'll revert Arnaud's patch, and we'll go back to enforcing the
> community consensus. My apologies for any disruption I've caused.

Well, considering that it's already used in many places and that at
least X server specifies some mandatory C extensions[0] (from [1]),
including interleaved code and declarations, I still don't understand
why this patch should be reverted...

--
Arnaud Fontaine

[0] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/doc/c-extensions