Remove declaration-after-statement C warning

Bart Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Sep 12 01:30:49 PDT 2013

You're right, of course. There is a small cost associated with
learning to read code written in a new style. Usually when I'm reading
code, I find that I'm as interested in knowing what value a variable
might hold as I am in its type, and I'm happy if I don't have to
scroll back too far for the local context that tells me these things.
Placing the declaration at the definition and near the first use helps
me to meet these goals.

At any rate, I would hardly presume to set style for X---what do I
know? I'll revert Arnaud's patch, and we'll go back to enforcing the
community consensus. My apologies for any disruption I've caused.

--Bart