[RFC] X.Org minimum requirements for Autotools policy review

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Oct 24 23:17:08 CEST 2013

On 10/24/13 11:17 AM, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> The current Autotools minimum requirements are stated in
> http://www.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide.
>
>   *      autoconf (2.60)
>   *      automake (1.10)
>   *      libtool (1.5)

The versions I currently use are autoconf 2.68, automake 1.14, and libtool
2.4.2, though that's admittedly a local install of automake newer than the
packages for my platform provide.

> GPLv3 Autoconf licensing still an issue?
>
>     A couple of years ago, some platforms declared they were unable to ship any
>     software package if it was licensed under GPLv3. This is the case for
>     Autoconf 2.62 and I recall XCB had to rollback to 2.60. Anyone knows if this
>     has been rosolved?

This is not a problem for my employer, but I think it remains a problem for
certain vendors who sell consumer products to which they don't want to give
purchasers the ability to recompile & reinstall the software on the devices,
and I don't think there is any resolution possible there, as it's simply
incompatible with their business choices.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com