xserver with DRI3 shm.c: unknown type name: xShmAttachFdReq and xShmCreateSegmentReq

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Nov 4 23:42:47 CET 2013

Mark Kettenis <mark.kettenis at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Of those systems only HP-UX and IRIX seem to implement
> the old 4.3 BSD interface, and I doubt we still care about those
> systems.

Sounds like assuming SYSV SHM == fd passing isn't completely insane
then; would be nice to hear from others with experience using recent
versions of other non-Linux systems.

And, if the problem is only that the code doesn't *work* on older
systems, that's just a bug that can be fixed if anyone compiles X in
such an environment.

> I suppose that if there will ever be a version 1.4 of the protocol and
> the desire exists to support that on systems that don't want to or
> can't offer file descriptor passing we could always add the flag in
> 1.4.  Meanwhile implementations that don't offer this feature can
> simply continue to advertise 1.2.

No, if we think apps will need to check before using FD passing, then we
should require those checks right now, rather than expecting
applications to add code later. So, we need to decide before shipping. I
think requiring a query 'just in case' isn't reasonable though.

-keith