(Crowd funded) fix for SiS 671/771 video cards

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Fri May 10 11:13:07 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Pander wrote:
>> On 05/07/2013 09:24 PM, Connor Behan wrote:

>>> SiS drivers support EXA and will probably use that by default when
>>> you start one of the newer Xservers that lacks XAA. This could
>>> easily crash if the SiS EXA hooks haven't been updated in awhile so
>>> that's why I suggested "NoAccel" to help diagnose the problem.

Connor, first, thanks a lot for caring for these old drivers. A lot of
people are still using their old laptops and run the latest Linux
distributions on them.

Thanks especially for the hint you gave earlier in this thread: "EXA
callbacks that use the devPrivate.ptr of a pixmap." I am trying to
keep the savage driver working, but I don't have the capacity to
follow xorg development in detail. Recently an EXA problem came up for
which I had no clue. Reading your hint was enough to guide me in the
right direction and now I believe I have fixed it with a one-liner
change.

> Xorg works but when I press CTRL+ALT+F1 I get a screen with an unusable
> screen. I see a small part of Xorg repeated a lon on the left side and
> on the right side many different colors. This part works with the older
> SiS driver for other cards.

Pander, does console switching work with the vesa driver? It doesn't
on my savage card, so I wonder if it is a more general non-KMS
problem. You say it works with the older SiS driver though, was that
also on the latest xserver?

Regards,
Tormod