gsoc 2013 idea - Customizable gestures

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Apr 11 17:18:44 PDT 2013

Hi guys,

I'm simply CC-ing all of you who have expressed interest in the synaptics
gesture GSoC project to save me writing the same email multiple times.

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 03:34:27PM +0530, Samprit Biswas wrote:
> My name is Samprit Biswas and I am a sophomore student at the Indian
> Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India of the department of Computer
> Science and Engineering. I would like to join the X.org project as a
> student on the Google Summer of Code program 2013.
>
> I am particularly interested in X input which allows a user to customize
> gestures. I have good knowledge in C/C++.

Unfortunately, the entry for gesture recognition in the synaptics driver
should have not been on the list. synaptics is the wrong place in the stack
to do gesture recognition. we support a minimal set of gestures and they
already give us more headache than benefit. full gesture recognition in the
synaptics driver would be an unmaintainable nightmare. for that reason, even
if you could get it to work in a proof-of-concept I would not merge the
result into the upstream driver.

I have removed the entry from the GSoC page to avoid this being proposed in
the future. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
   Peter