[PULL to discuss] Remove kdrive, Xnest, and Xvfb

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Mar 26 21:07:46 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Alan Coopersmith
<alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 03/26/12 08:21 PM, Jamey Sharp wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Alan Coopersmith
>> <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
>>> The giant blocker from my point of view is that by just deleting them, you've
>>> made it impossible for non-root users to run them, since Xorg only reads config
>>> files from system directories when run as a root user.
>>
>> I'm glad to hear you have no objections: this is all fixed in 1.12. See
>>
>> ead968a4300c0adeff89b9886e888b6d284c75cc
>
> Nice try, but did you read that commit?
>
> It will still FatalError if you attempt to pass a -config path when the server
> is installed setuid, as it currently must be to support actual hardware
> configurations.

Oh. Right. I forgot the details after reviewing the patch, apparently.
I certainly did read the commit at some point; it says so right on it.
:-)

Maybe I have it right this time: On Debian, there's no problem,
because /usr/bin/X is a trivial suid wrapper and /usr/bin/Xorg is not
installed suid. Solaris and other Unixes could take the same approach,
right?

Jamey