[PULL to discuss] Remove kdrive, Xnest, and Xvfb

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Mar 26 20:30:04 PDT 2012

On 03/26/12 08:21 PM, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Alan Coopersmith
> <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
>> On 03/26/12 04:13 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>> These need to die.  This removes 30K lines of code from xorg-server.  It must be good!
>>>
>>> Most functionality of these servers can be provide by Xorg with either the nested or dummy video driver.  If someone really misses functionality, we should fix that deficiency in hw/xfree86, xf86-video-dummy, or xf86-video-nested.  Also, there's nothing stopping anyone from using older server versions if they still need these DDXs.
>>
>> The giant blocker from my point of view is that by just deleting them, you've
>> made it impossible for non-root users to run them, since Xorg only reads config
>> files from system directories when run as a root user.
>
> I'm glad to hear you have no objections: this is all fixed in 1.12. See
>
> ead968a4300c0adeff89b9886e888b6d284c75cc

Nice try, but did you read that commit?

   if (!strcmp(argv[i], "-config") || !strcmp(argv[i], "-xf86config"))
   {
     CHECK_FOR_REQUIRED_ARGUMENT();
-    if (getuid() != 0 && !xf86PathIsSafe(argv[i + 1])) {
+    if (xf86PrivsElevated() && !xf86PathIsSafe(argv[i + 1])) {
       FatalError("\nInvalid argument for %s\n"
-         "\tFor non-root users, the file specified with %s must be\n"
+         "\tWith elevated privileges, the file specified with %s must be\n"

It will still FatalError if you attempt to pass a -config path when the server
is installed setuid, as it currently must be to support actual hardware
configurations.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com