[libxkbcommon] Pull request - many changes

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Mar 17 05:22:08 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 16 March 2012 16:54, Ran Benita <ran234 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 02:00:46PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
>> Great stuff - thanks again! I've pushed this, along with a bunch of
>> other changes I've made, now.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> And the changed you made are much better; especially removing geometry
> (by far the ugliest part) and overlays and radio groups (what the hell
> are those again?). Also removing atoms from the public API.

Ha, yeah, some absolute loss in there.

> Does all of this mean that there are no plans to use libxkbcommon in
> the server or Xlib? I imagine the library can be a lot nicer to use
> without clinging to the old interface and legacy stuff.

I'm still planning to use it in the server, provided it's OK that
people are willing to accept the limited subset of the full XKB spec
that xkbcommon offers.  In fairness though, a lot of stuff was never
actually fully implemented, so it probably won't actually make any
difference ...

>> Out of interest, what were you planning to work on?
>
> Just streamlining it for a couple applications. You can see for example
> some hacks I did to get the library working nicely (with my config, at
> least): https://github.com/dvdhrm/kmscon/blob/master/src/kbd_xkb.c
> (This is a WIP project by David Herrmann - wasn't updated to latest
> changes yet). Obviously it contains errors and shouldn't be done by the
> application developer. I'll try and make an example patch now.
>
> There's also plenty of janitorial work left to be done, if you want
> it/have time to review it.

Oh, nice! That looks really good - some of the stuff (e.g. deriving
the actions from the compat map, updating the vmodmap, etc) is now
unnecessary as it's done in xkbcommon.

Always happy to review anything. :)

Cheers,
Daniel