[libxkbcommon] Pull request - many changes

Ran Benita ran234 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 09:54:33 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 02:00:46PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi Ran,
>
> On 3 March 2012 22:40, Ran Benita <ran234 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [I know the normal procedure is to send the patches for review in
> > reasonable chunks to the list, however I won't have time the following
> > weeks, and I don't want them to get lost. So I'll try my luck now.]
> >
> > I set up a github repository with my libxkbcommon patches. The first few
> > were sent to the list and some were reviewed (up to branch 'fixes'). The
> > next one's were not (branch 'fixes-cont').
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > The intention is to have a clean slate before doing some actual
> > changes to libxkbcommon (which I hope to do when I have time in the
> > future).
>
> Great stuff - thanks again! I've pushed this, along with a bunch of
> other changes I've made, now.

Great, thanks!

And the changed you made are much better; especially removing geometry
(by far the ugliest part) and overlays and radio groups (what the hell
are those again?). Also removing atoms from the public API.

Does all of this mean that there are no plans to use libxkbcommon in
the server or Xlib? I imagine the library can be a lot nicer to use
without clinging to the old interface and legacy stuff.

> Out of interest, what were you planning to work on?

Just streamlining it for a couple applications. You can see for example
some hacks I did to get the library working nicely (with my config, at
least): https://github.com/dvdhrm/kmscon/blob/master/src/kbd_xkb.c
(This is a WIP project by David Herrmann - wasn't updated to latest
changes yet). Obviously it contains errors and shouldn't be done by the
application developer. I'll try and make an example patch now.

There's also plenty of janitorial work left to be done, if you want
it/have time to review it.

- Ran