Extension of Xorg server 32/64 Bits problem

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Jun 5 07:43:13 PDT 2012

On 06/ 5/12 04:37 AM, Leo Chapiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I re-post because of my wrong post before, sry for that :)
>
> I write a small extension of Xorg server to command a special monitor over
> serial port.
> The extension works perfectly with 32-Bit Version of openSUSE 11.2 but if I
> test it under 64-Bit I get always following error:
>
>>> Major opcode of failed request:  128 (SERIAL)
>>> Minor opcode of failed request:  0 ()
>>> Serial number of failed request:  8
>>> Current serial number in output stream:  8
>
> My hope is, may be somebody has already such a problem and can help to fix it?

Hard to say much more than you have a bug in your code and need to debug it.
You don't even include the error code, which is one of the most important bits
of information for such debugging.

One particular "gotcha" to watch out for - due to a mistake made 2 decades ago
that we're stuck with, the libX11 API defines 32-bit values as always being
passed as a "long", even if that means you have to convert an array of 64-bit
longs into an array of 32-bit ints in the library before sending to the server.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com