Generic Precedence Grouping for Input Devices

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jun 4 20:13:48 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 04:09:21PM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what you seem to want is device exclusion so that input from one
> device precludes events from other devices to be processed.
>
> As XI has support for disabling devices this should be doable with a
> user program so long as a user program can get proximity events
> reliably.

> I don't think this should be by default enabled in X server, it's not
> something most users would expect.

in addition, proximity events is just one case and we don't have the luxury
of getting them from all devices. a tablet may not support proximity but
still interfer with touch events or, already commonplace, a keyboard may
interfere with a touchpad. the problem is that the context of which device
interferes with other devices and in what usage scenario is unknown to the X
server. this really needs to be controlled by the client side.

Cheers,
  Peter