Sticky keys with latchlock in XKB is broken

Steven Edwards cureadvocate at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:27:38 PDT 2012

Dear Xorg-devel:

I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04 and discovered that the XKB
module has a regression--modifier keys can no longer be locked; the
xkbwatch utility demonstrates this clearly.  (Specifically, pressing a
modifier key, e.g., Shift, twice in a row should allow all subsequent key
presses to be SHIFTED--it instead deactivates the latch state.)

I have tried analyzing the code, assuming a simple logic error would be
responsible for the regression, only to continually fail.  I zeroed in on
ProcXkbLatchLockState, but the logic hasn't changed since at least 10.10.

Would some kind developer please point me in the right direction?  I would
love to mentally step through the code to find and fix the error, but I
have no idea where to start since I have avoided C for the past 18 years.

Help?

Please? :)

Thank you,

Steven