Vesa and sync out of range

Vasiliy Vylegzhanin 6vasia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 05:32:19 PDT 2011

Vesa driver totally ignores monitor capabilities and sets the highest
mode it can resulting blank screen and "out of sync range" message.
In my case it sets 1920x1440 mode while my monitor is capable only of
1280x1024 mode.
I am trying to fix that, so I have some questions.

First, current driver gets ALL possible modes list in
confScreen->monitor and uses it without any check. It's not clear from
DDX Design reference, what is confScreen and why there are all modes
in it.
Then VBEGetModePool does not check monitor possible mode size, also no
check for sync range seems to be performed as I get 89.4kHz hsync and
monitor range is 30--83.
Thus, is vesa driver module the right place to patch, or something
else should be fixed?

--
Vasiliy Vylegzhanin.