[PUSH xf86-video-nested] Driver for nesting X-servers

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Mon May 9 14:43:10 PDT 2011

  On 05/09/2011 06:37 PM, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 08:56:50AM +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
>> yes, you're right, a "real" Xinerama" is different cards combined in
>> one display.
>>
>> See the multiseat setup here:
>>
>> http://beforeafterx.blogspot.com/2011/02/multiseat-setup.html
>>
>> As you see there, it's a multiseat sollution.
>> Well, to be honoust, it's using Twinview, a nvidia extension, which
>> can make two monitors act as one display, and can make it look like
>> Xinerama.
> I get it. You don't have :99.0 and :99.1, you just have one protocol
> screen, and position the Xephyr windows based on your knowledge of the
> Xinerama or Twinview configuration. Sure, that works too, and should
> work equally well with the nested driver.
>
> I see one of the complaints in netpatia's documentation is difficulty
> configuring the geometry of the nested windows. A patch to tell the
> nested driver what window geometry you want should be easy to write and
> would be welcome.
Yes exactly,

the problem with the current sollutions with Xephyr is that it only can get
the size of the screen, and not the position.

This is really strange and not so nice, since - as you can read in the
guide at the webpage
I've send earlier - it's required to move the second Xephyr window to
the second screen. By default it
starts at 0,0.

If I remember correctly in the past it was possible to add also the
position parameters to Xephyr.

There is an option -origin, but what it does I do not know.

Now that's the trouble with Xephyr.
And if you ask me it looks a little bit redundant, if you configure a X
display with two screens, one screen for every monitor, and then
calculate the position of every monitor in the display, and then move
the Xephyr window to the right position, which is exactly the area the
screen takes, if you follow me.

When I saw that the nested driver uses the display I hoped this also
includes the screennumber. When it does, the whole calculation for the
position and the moving of windows is not necessary.

I do not know enough of the X protocol it's easy to just use the nested
driver using the display (including the screen number!!) but is this
possible??

Stef