[PUSH xf86-video-nested] Driver for nesting X-servers

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon May 9 09:37:43 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 08:56:50AM +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
> yes, you're right, a "real" Xinerama" is different cards combined in
> one display.
>
> See the multiseat setup here:
>
> http://beforeafterx.blogspot.com/2011/02/multiseat-setup.html
>
> As you see there, it's a multiseat sollution.
> Well, to be honoust, it's using Twinview, a nvidia extension, which
> can make two monitors act as one display, and can make it look like
> Xinerama.

I get it. You don't have :99.0 and :99.1, you just have one protocol
screen, and position the Xephyr windows based on your knowledge of the
Xinerama or Twinview configuration. Sure, that works too, and should
work equally well with the nested driver.

I see one of the complaints in netpatia's documentation is difficulty
configuring the geometry of the nested windows. A patch to tell the
nested driver what window geometry you want should be easy to write and
would be welcome.

Jamey